reply to yesterday's comment

“My problem with these word blogs is my own... I never remember the words after I read about them here.”

Well, neither do I, not all of them. I never remember the scientific ones. I love the word/language ones (like diaclitical). But I like ones that will stick with you, like scumble.

scumble verb [ with obj. modify (a painting or colour) by applying a very thin coat of opaque paint to give a softer or duller effect. the area surrounding the main figures will be scumbled. • modify (a drawing) with light shading in pencil or charcoal to give a softer effect. ORIGIN late 17th cent. (as a verb): perhaps a frequentative of the verb scum.

I like the sound of the word. I’m going to find a way to use it, even if the meaning is out of my field of reference. I like gurn, too:

gurn (also girn) verb [ no obj. ] 1 Brit.pull a grotesque face. 2 (usu. girn) chiefly Scottish & Irish: complain peevishly. It comes form grin and it sounds Sottish/Irish. I’m sure you’ll find a use for it.

Do you remember zarf? I looked it up last year and I haven’t forgotten it.

A zarf (plural: zarfs, zuruuf, zarves) is a holder, usually of ornamental metal, for a coffee cup without a handle (demitasse or fincan).

I tried to move a picture of it but you know I can’t do that. If you’ve been to Starbucks recently you know what it looks like.